Norwalk Community Hospital Achieves the Pulmonary Care Excellence Award for Third Year in a Row!
Norwalk Community Hospital is a recipient of the Pulmonary Care Excellence Award for 3 Years in a Row (2019-2021), according to new research by Healthgrades, the leading resource that connects consumers, physicians and health systems.
“Being recognized for pulmonary care reassures our patients that we provide nationally recognized lung care during before the pandemic, during and post-COVID-19,” said hospital Administrator Judy Fauria.
The pulmonary care achievement places Norwalk Community Hospital among the top 5% in the nation for overall pulmonary services for the last three years (2019-2021). In addition the hospital is among the top 5% in the nation for gastrointestinal medical treatment in 2021, and top 10% in the nation for eight years (2014-2021).
The hospital also was a five-star recipient for awards in six clinical categories.
Each year, Healthgrades evaluates hospital performance at nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 32 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions using Medicare data, and all-payer data from 16 states for bariatrics and appendectomy procedures.
“The importance of hospital quality is top of mind for consumers, as they are becoming more aware of the differences of care provided by different hospitals. Consumers can feel confident knowing that hospitals that are recognized for their performance in Pulmonary Care provide high quality care and superior outcomes,” said Dr. Brad Bowman, Healthgrades’ chief medical officer,.
“Our dedicated doctors, nurses and support staff—many who live in Norwalk—provide this nationally recognized care to ensure our patients, our neighbors, receive the best medical care possible,” said Hector Hernandez, who is CEO of Los Angeles Community Hospitals. “Our new 2021 achievements in heart attack treatment and moving to the top 5% in the nation for GI medical treatment mean are focus on continuous quality improvement is making a difference.”
Los Angeles Community Hospitals at Norwalk and LA are recognized for the following clinical achievements:
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack (2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 8 Years in a Row (2014-2021)
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award for 3 Years in a Row (2019-2021)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services for 3 Years (2019-2021)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services for 3 Years (2019-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for 4 Years (2018-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 3 Years in a Row (2019-2021)
- Named Among the Top 5% in the Nation for GI Medical Treatment (2021)
- Named Among the Top 10% in the Nation for GI Medical Treatment for 8 Years in a Row (2014-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of GI Bleed for 9 Years in a Row (2013-2021)
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for 3 Years in a Row (2019-2021)
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 32 common conditions and procedures, and evaluated comparative outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 16 states. Healthgrades recognizes a hospital’s quality achievements for cohort-specific performance, specialty area performance, and overall clinical quality. Individual procedure or condition cohorts are designated as 5-star (statistically significantly better than expected), 3-star (not statistically different from expected) and 1-star (statistically significantly worse than expected).